Included for free with this service
12-month / 12k-mile warranty
Free 50 point safety inspection
Our certified mobile mechanics can come to your home or office 7 days a week between 7 AM and 9 PM.
Serpentine/Drive Belt Replacement Service
How much does a Serpentine/Drive Belt Replacement cost?
On average, the cost for a Mazda 5 Serpentine/Drive Belt Replacement is $126 with $31 for parts and $95 for labor. Prices may vary depending on your location.
|2007 Mazda 5L4-2.3L||Service typeSerpentine/Drive Belt Replacement||Estimate$190.73||Shop/Dealer Price$219.67 - $283.97|
|2009 Mazda 5L4-2.3L||Service typeSerpentine/Drive Belt Replacement||Estimate$170.73||Shop/Dealer Price$199.68 - $264.00|
|2012 Mazda 5L4-2.5L||Service typeSerpentine/Drive Belt Replacement||Estimate$196.69||Shop/Dealer Price$232.13 - $315.92|
|2013 Mazda 5L4-2.5L||Service typeSerpentine/Drive Belt Replacement||Estimate$196.69||Shop/Dealer Price$232.11 - $315.88|
|2008 Mazda 5L4-2.3L||Service typeSerpentine/Drive Belt Replacement||Estimate$170.73||Shop/Dealer Price$199.70 - $264.03|
|2015 Mazda 5L4-2.5L||Service typeSerpentine/Drive Belt Replacement||Estimate$156.71||Shop/Dealer Price$182.16 - $235.96|
|2016 Mazda 5L4-2.5L||Service typeSerpentine/Drive Belt Replacement||Estimate$161.71||Shop/Dealer Price$187.02 - $240.72|
|2017 Mazda 5L4-2.5L||Service typeSerpentine/Drive Belt Replacement||Estimate$161.71||Shop/Dealer Price$187.39 - $241.38|
Show example Mazda 5 Serpentine/Drive Belt Replacement prices
What is a serpentine belt and how does it work?
A serpentine belt is a relatively long, flat, multi-ribbed belt that is driven by the engine’s crankshaft pulley. The belt drives many, and often all, of the engine accessories such as the alternator, air conditioning compressor, power steering pump, water pump, and air pump. The serpentine belt is tensioned by a hydraulic or spring-loaded automatic tensioner. Some older cars use a serpentine belt to drive most accessories but will also have a shorter v-style belt to drive, for example, the power steering pump.
When to consider replacing the serpentine belt:
- Regularly scheduled maintenance. Typically, belt manufacturers recommend belt replacement at 90,000 miles. However, the belt must be inspected for wear or damage at regular intervals prior to this high mileage.
- Squealing noise, belt slippage, visible belt damage. Should the belt fail or wear out prematurely, you may hear noise or you may see visible signs of deterioration such as missing chunks of rubber, excessive cracking, or a shredded appearance on the edge of the belt.
- Battery Light. A loose belt, perhaps caused by a defective tensioner, may not drive the alternator at adequate speed and thus the battery may discharge, causing the warning light to illuminate.
- Engine overheating. Often, the serpentine belt drives the water pump. In those applications, if the belt breaks the engine will overheat in seconds to minutes. If the belt is inadequately tensioned, you may notice higher-than-normal engine operating temperature.
How do mechanics replace the serpentine belt?
- Prior to removing the belt, the mechanic must run the engine to determine if the idler pulley and the belt tensioner are noise-free. Those rotating components have grease filled bearings and are subject to wear. In addition, the mechanic will ensure that all pulleys and accessories are turning in the same plane. These steps help make sure your new belt will operate trouble-free for its full-service life.
- The belt’s routing path through the various components is noted. The belt tensioner is released, usually with a wrench or lever, to release the tension from the belt. With the tension off, the belt slides off the pulleys.
- All rotating components — that is the alternator, air conditioner compressor, etc. — are checked for smooth operation and no noise.
- If everything checks out, the new belt is slipped over all of the pulleys while holding the tensioner away from the belt. Once the belt is centered on all pulleys, the tensioner is released and the installation is complete. The engine is run to ensure normal operation.
Is it safe to drive with a serpentine belt problem?
No. Should the belt have visible damage, you risk unexpected and sudden breakage that could potentially leave you stranded. Serpentine belt problems that result in the alternator not charging may cause the battery to discharge, which will result in loss of electrical power to the vehicle. Additionally, if a deteriorated belt breaks and that belt drives the water pump, the engine will overheat in a matter of seconds.
When replacing the serpentine belt keep in mind:
- On many cars, the expected service life of a serpentine belt is around 90,000 miles. Should the belt fail well prior to that, a very careful inspection should be performed to check for out-of-alignment pulleys, a possibly out-of-position crankshaft harmonic balancer on which the drive pulley is mounted, binding pulleys, or a defective belt tensioner.
- Attention should always be given to serpentine belt routing, since proper routing is critical to proper belt tension, and function of the driven components.
- Sometimes it is difficult to distinguish serpentine belt related noise from other engine noises. In these cases, a mechanic will determine the origin of the noise by momentarily running the engine without the serpentine belt attached.
Fast and easy service at your home or office
Backed by 12-month, 12.000-mile guarantee
Recent articles & questions
My car stalled, I checked the oil and it was low. I added 2 quarts and barely made it 4 blocks. There is no pressure when pressing the gas.
This may or may not be related to the low oil level (https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/oil-level-is-low-inspection). If the car was overheated and potentially has developed a blown head gasket, this may be possibly what have caused the stall. When this happens, the cylinder...
Car won't start.
Hello. You are going to want to start by checking (https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-not-starting-inspection) out the electrical systems pertaining to the starting components. Start with the battery cables. Check all of the cables including the grounds and the connection to the starter. Chances...
My 1999 ford wind star came with a locked glovebox with no key. How do I get into the glovebox without damaging it?
Hello, thank you for writing in. If preventing damage, you have two different options. One is to order a new key from the dealership. The other is to have a professional locksmith pick the lock. These locks (https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/door-does-not-lock-or-open-inspection) are simple...
Mazda 5 Serpentine Belt
DOE/SAE Compliance - FMVSS 108
Auto parts manufacturers must adhere to a strict set of guidelines in order to meet the criteria laid out by FMVSS 108. Any lights or reflectors that adorn vehicles traveling on public roads MUST adhere to the regulations; otherwise, the manufacturer is subject to a slew of penalties.
Some of the FMVSS 108 guidelines include:
- Technical specifications (illumination, construction)
- Proper product marking
- Manufacturer registration
While the regulations are designed primarily for manufacturers, consumers must always be sure that any lights that they install on their vehicles also meet these regulations. Citations can be issued for products that do not meet the minimum regulatory requirements.
All of the parts carried on Go-Parts.com are FMVSS 108 compliant, as the designs have endured extensive testing. Our manufacturers only produce replacement lights that meet the highest of industry standards, ensuring on-road safety and reducing the probability of breakdowns in component construction.
- 2012 dodge recalls
- Willow bonsai
- Tile angle trim
- Graduation pandora charm
- Binghamton transportation center
We're offline for a tune-up, we'll be up and running smoothly very soon.
In the meantime, here are some other options available:
Advance Auto Parts store
We appreciate your patience – on your next visit, use coupon code PS20 for 20% off your purchase.
We look forward to serving you,
The Advance Team
Belt mazda 5 serpentine
.Mazda Mazda3, Mazda6, CX-30, CX-4, CX-5, CX-8,CX-9 Water Pump, Thermostat and Belts Replacement
- Emoji tattoo ideas
- Mafia owned restaurants nyc
- Synology new nas
- Shelving units sale
- Old gun parts and stuff
- 2017 chevy volt safety rating
- Line drawing animation after effects
- Asus tablet charger
- Colorful vocabulary
- Office depot paper box
- Vanguard dividend funds 2020